Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco, Jr Dies At 85

Politicians, Businessmen, Sportsmen, Management and Employees of his Business Conglomerate Groups, Charity Groups and Ordinary People whom he touched their lives mourn for the passing away of Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco who is popularly known as "BOSS Danding" in the evening of June 16, 2020 at the age of 85 years old. The cause of death was heart failure and pneumonia as reported by St Luke's Medical Center at the Bonifacio Global Center, Taguig City.

I came to know him when I was then starting my military career as a close friend of former President Ferdinand Marcos as I would always see him in the Malacanang Palace of the North in Paoay, Ilocos Norte in the late 90s and the early 80s. His personal ties with the former President Marcos was unbroken the he joined the latter on his exile to the US and later returned to the Philippines after President Marcos died in Hawaii. He was known for being the Number One Sponsor of Basketball in the country for creating Basketball Teams in the National and Professional Leagues. Being the founder of the Northern Cement Company (NCC), one the biggest cement producers in the country, he created the NCC Basketball Team (which later became the GILAS Philippines) as the Philippines National League Basketball Team that won the prestigious William Jones Cup in 1981.

Later, he owned and acquired the San Miguel Corporation and established a Commercial Bank. 

In the Presidential Election of 1992, he ran for the position of the President but he was defeated by President Ramos. He became the founder and leader of the National People's Coalition Party which fielded national and local elected officials since the early 90s. He was then appointed as Philippine Ambassador and became to have close ties with the administration of former President Estrada. 

Through the years as a Military Commander in the Visayas, I have known that he has the biggest orchard/plantation in the Negros Island. I could still remember the day when I rode a military helicopter to visit one of my Battalions when I saw how vast the orchard was as seen from atop. It was unfortunate that he was out of the country then when I had a chance to arrange a schedule to meet him before I retired from the military service.

"Boss Danding" as he was fondly called is known for his 100% support to Basketball and other sports in the country. He was also supportive to our Military Forces in the field. He will be remembered for his good deeds which improved our sports development and economic standing at the present.

Note: Photo taken from Inquirer.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and for dropping by.

You Only Need These 4 Stretching Exercises After Running!

This is a video I made showing my most important and MUST-do stretching exercises every time I finish my running workout.  Thank you for wat...