Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Slow Running VS Fast Running?

At my present age of 68 years old, I am starting to do more of slow running on my daily workouts rather than with my fast running where I have the target to finish a certain distance within a period of time. Three years ago, I could still finish a 10K distance (6.2 miles) on paved road in One Hour. However, at this time, I could only manage to run a distance of 5 miles. On trail running, three years ago, I could run a distance of 5 miles on my average pace but at this time, I could only cover a distance of 4 miles on a dirt track on my fastest pace and 3.6 miles on my average slow run. I am still happy that I could still run fast on road and trails but I am happiest when I just go out and enjoy my slow running.

For the past month, I have concentrated more on my daily runs by doing slow running, trying to monitor my Heart Rate through my GPS Watch HR Monitor. I returned to the Maffetone Training which I did and experimented 6 years ago. I have been maintaining my pace by following the MAF Method or the Maximum Aerobic Function. It means that I would maintain my Heat Rate at a designated range which is determined by the 180 Formula. The 180 Formula states that a runner's Maximum Aerobic Function/MAF Heart Rate is computed by subtracting your present age to 180. In my case, it is 180 minus 68, and the result is 112 beats per minute. However, there is a condition that if the runner is more than 65 years old and had continuously been running for the past years without any lull time due to injuries, the runner can add an additional of 10 beats per minute. So, I add 10 to my 112 and I have my MAF Heart Rate to 122.

I have been successful in maintaining this MAF Heart Rate of 122 and I am more comfortable with my runs. However, at least, twice a week, I still do some tempo runs, hill repeats, and strides which I consider as my "cross-training" activities to complement my training. Although, I don"t have a specific race to join in the coming months, it is worth doing this MAF training method just to develop more of my aerobic endurance.

In my running experience, slow running and fast running should be combined and treated with balance when a runner would aim for more and longer years of running. My recovery and long runs are composed and treated as slow running while my short tempo runs, hill repeats, and strides are treated as fast running. If a runner can balance these types of running, he/she will last forever as a runner. At this time, my goal in life is to reach the age of 90 years old and it would be a pleasure to be running until I reach this age.

Thank you for reading my thoughts on running for the day. 


If you are interested to know more of the Maffetone Training and MAF Test, you can buy this book on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and for dropping by.

You Only Need These 4 Stretching Exercises After Running!

This is a video I made showing my most important and MUST-do stretching exercises every time I finish my running workout.  Thank you for wat...